Call +44(0)20 3828 0350

Advice and representation for individuals

Constructive Dismissal

If you are unhappy with the way you are being treated at work and feel that your situation is no longer tenable, our constructive dismissal solicitors can help.

We can also support you if you have resigned following a fundamental breach of your employment contract by your employer.  We regularly act for senior employees in financial services, insurance, professional services, the oil and gas industry, technology and for NHS medical consultants who, for various reasons, feel they have been placed in a position where it is no longer possible to continue working for their employer.  We have solid experience of winning constructive dismissal claims and obtaining compensation so that our clients are able to move on with their reputation intact.

What is a constructive dismissal claim?

Constructive dismissal is deemed to have occurred in situations whereby an employer behaves in a way that breaches an important term of the employee’s employment contract, and the employee resigns as a result of that breach.  This conduct is often referred to as a ‘fundamental breach’.  The definition of constructive dismissal also covers situations where an employee resigns because of a hostile work environment, particularly if the hostility is directed at them personally.

Can I bring a constructive dismissal claim?

To be able to bring a constructive dismissal claim, you must:

Be an ‘employee’ – this includes:

CEOs, CFOs, Executive Directors, all employees, and salaried partners.  Non-Executive Directors, workers, self-employed contractors, and certain categories of employees such as members of the armed forces are not normally entitled to bring this claim; and

To be able to bring an unfair dismissal claim, you must:

Have two or more years’ continuous service – there are limited exceptions to this requirement, for example, if the fundamental breach by your employer is linked to maternity leave, discrimination and/or whistleblowing.

Constructive dismissal claims can be tricky so it is a good idea to seek legal advice at an early stage.

What conduct amounts to a ‘fundamental breach’ entitling me to resign and bring a constructive dismissal claim?

There is no exhaustive list of behaviour, but it includes breaches of an express or implied term of your employment contract.
In many cases, employees rely on a breach of the implied term of mutual trust and confidence; this is grounds for a resignation because the employer has behaved in a way that has destroyed or seriously damaged the trust and confidence between them.  This does not cover all instances of poor treatment or unreasonable behaviour.  Examples of a ‘fundamental breach’ could include:
  • Reducing your pay or withdrawing a contractual benefit;
  • Removing your core duties or significantly changing your job role without your consent;
  • Subjecting you to a bullying or discriminatory working environment;
  • Poor handling of a grievance;
  • Incompetent handling of disciplinary matters, e.g. suspending you without due cause, making a spurious allegation against you, or giving you an unjustified warning; or
  • Subjecting you to an excessive workload which it is reasonably foreseeable will cause damage to your health.

Does the fundamental breach have to be a one-off incident?

No, the fundamental breach can be a continuing course of conduct which culminates in a “last straw”.  If you resign in these circumstances, the final incident does not in itself need to be a fundamental breach, but it is when taken together with the series of past incidents.

Should I raise a grievance?

Depending on the circumstances, it is often sensible to initially raise your concerns about the treatment you have suffered with your employer.  This should be done in the form of a written grievance under your employer’s grievance procedure, or the ACAS Code of Conduct on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures.  While it is not compulsory to raise a grievance before bringing a claim, not having done so may mean that any compensation you are awarded by a Tribunal is reduced by up to 25%.

Our constructive dismissal solicitors can advise you on bringing a grievance and ensure your best interests are protected throughout the process.

When should I resign?

You must ensure that you do not leave it too long before resigning.  Any period of more than 4 weeks may be risky and may need to be justified.  The risk of not resigning promptly is that you may be deemed to have accepted the breach, meaning that you would lose your right to claim constructive dismissal.

If you are unsure about resigning right away, it is important to seek legal advice to ensure your actions (or lack of action) do not indicate acceptance of breach. You may wish to buy more time by submitting your grievance and awaiting the outcome of the grievance procedure.  You will still be able to resign at any point during the process.  The exact period of time within which you must resign will depend on your personal circumstances and the nature of the breach.  For example, tribunals have, in some cases allowed employees who are on sickness absence more time to resign.

If you believe you have a claim for constructive dismissal or if you are thinking about resigning, talk to one of our constructive dismissal solicitors to ensure you take the correct actions to support a possible action against your employer.

Do I need to work my notice?

If you resign without notice, you may be able to claim your notice pay and walk free from any post-termination restrictions in your employment contract.

For unfair dismissal purposes, you can resign with or without notice.  You are not obliged to work your notice, but you may elect to do so.  The risk of working your notice is that your employer may try to use this as evidence that you could not have considered the breach to be fundamental; otherwise, you would have stopped working immediately.

How do I communicate my resignation?

Our constructive dismissal lawyers will provide advice to you if you choose to resign from your role.

Your resignation must be clear, unambiguous and in writing.

Be measured in your tone and language and try to be as specific as possible about your reason(s) for leaving.  You should state that as a result of your employer’s treatment, you feel you have no option but to leave. The wording of your resignation letter is very important as it will be integral documentary evidence should you decide to pursue a constructive dismissal claim.

Are there are any further steps I must take before submitting my constructive dismissal claim?

For an unfair constructive dismissal claim, you will need to contact ACAS on 0300 123 1100 to begin a process called Early Conciliation and to obtain an Early Conciliation Certificate, which is required before you can lodge a constructive dismissal claim at an Employment Tribunal.

For more details, please see

For a claim for notice pay, ordinarily, you should write a letter to your employer explaining your claim before you litigate.

How long do I have to bring my claim in the employment tribunal?

In the UK, a constructive dismissal claim must be brought within three months less one day of the date of your employment ending, or a later date where the limitation date is extended by ACAS Early Conciliation.

What sort of compensation can I expect to receive?

If you succeed in your constructive dismissal claim, you can expect to receive your notice pay, freedom from post-termination restrictions, and further compensation that consists of (from 6 April 2024):

  • a basic award of up to £700 per week (this figure increases each year in April) for each complete year you have worked multiplied by 0.5, 1 or 1.5 depending on your age subject to the maximum cap which is currently £21,000; and
  • a compensatory award which may include loss of earnings, bonus, shares, options, benefits, pension and losses for the hurt, distress, and any personal injury caused.

Any compensatory award made will be subject to a statutory cap which is currently £115,115 (this figure increases each year in April) or a year’s salary, whichever is lower. If your constructive dismissal is discriminatory or because of whistleblowing there is no statutory cap and you can claim uncapped compensation. You will be under a duty to mitigate your losses by taking reasonable steps to find a new job, and successful mitigation of your losses will reduce the total compensation that you are entitled to.

What other claims may I have?

If your constructive dismissal is because you are whistleblower, or for a discriminatory reason, you may have other Employment Tribunal claims, and you could be awarded even higher compensation than an ordinary constructive dismissal claim.  There are several constructive dismissal case law examples involving multiple employment law claims.  Our constructive dismissal lawyers will explain how these decisions may apply to your case.

Am I now released from the post-termination restrictions in my employment contract?

If your employer has fundamentally breached your employment contract, you will be released from any continuing obligations, including your post-termination restrictions.  The only exception would be if you then behaved in a way that affirmed the contract, e.g. by working a period of notice, as this would mean the terms including the restrictions would continue to be enforceable.

How can BDBF help with a constructive dismissal claim?

BDBF is a niche employment law firm which focuses on employment law for executives, senior management, and highly skilled professionals. Not only do our lawyers have experience in constructive dismissal law, but we also have in-depth knowledge of the financial, insurance, legal, health and technology sectors, and how constructive dismissal claims can be brought in these sectors.

Our solicitors will support you throughout the life of your constructive dismissal claim, providing confidence that you always have an intelligent, skilled, and tenacious team on your side. Information on our typical fees for constructive dismissal claims can be found here.

Call with confidence and we’ll take care of it

If you need employment law advice and wish to speak to one of our specialist employment lawyers, call us on +44(0)20 3828 0350 or fill out our online enquiry form.