Arpita is a founding partner of BDBF.
Described in Chambers & Partners 2015 as “one of the best negotiators around because she routinely gets settlements that are worth more than the cases.” The 2015 edition of Legal 500 mirrors this by describing Arpita as an “excellent negotiator“. She is ranked as a leading lawyer in Chambers & Partners and Legal 500 2015 editions.
Arpita launched ‘Sacked in the City‘ in October 2013 – a web site aimed at informing and improving the working lives of senior executives in the City, and is currently its editor. Take a look – www.sackedinthecity.co.uk
In 2011, Arpita was recognised as a “Hot 100” lawyer by “The Lawyer” magazine for her whistleblowing cases, who said that “Word-of-mouth has made her the go-to lawyer for consultant surgeons dismissed after unveiling cases of mismanagement affecting patient care“.
Arpita is a regular speaker at conferences and training events for other employment lawyers and HR practitioners, including the White Paper Conference, Employment Lawyers Association and Industrial Law Society.
Career highlights include:
- Acting for several CEOs and LLP members in severance negotiations and advising on new terms and conditions.
- Acting for Mark Shenton, former theatre critic for the Sunday Express in a sexual orientation dismissal claim reported in Private Eye, Huffington Post and The Independent.
- Acting for Consultant Mr Weerasinghe, in his successful career-loss dismissal, discrimination and whistleblowing claim against an NHS Trust, reported by BBC News and The Sunday Times.
- Winning a preliminary hearing on territorial jurisdiction issues on behalf of a senior risk manager bringing a dismissal and whistleblowing claim against Bank of America. The claim was successfully settled.
- Advising several specialist NHS Consultants from leading hospitals on whistleblowing, defending disciplinary allegations, raising grievances, bullying, harassment and contractual claims.
- Successfully defending a whistleblowing claim for an international investment bank in a two-week tribunal hearing.
- Acting for two whistleblowers against BT, which successfully settled during the Employment Tribunal hearing as reported by The Independent.
Arpita is a campaigning lawyer and has been recognised for her legal excellence in Who’s Who ‘ in 2014 as a ‘Top Female Executive’. She was an adviser on the Equality Committee of National Citizens Advice and the Executive Committee of Hackney Unites.
Arpita enjoys travelling, the theatre, dining out, music gigs and the intrigue and drama of Game of Thrones and The Good Wife.